Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Here's What I'm Going To Need:

1. An Intern/Assistant. There's no way you can expect me to research, write, edit and manage the production flow for 5 quarterly newsletters and 3 electronic newsletters all by myself. I'd like to think that I'm superwoman, but even this MASTER OF FINE ARTS cannot do it all.

2. 2-3 Days Working From Home. There are things I need to take care of at home during the week. My kids' schools have PTA meetings and class trips and stuff, and occasionally I'd like to have a morning where I can do the domestic things that I secretly enjoy doing but do not like to admit to, like laundry and re-arranging my food cabinets, without sacrificing my precious weekends.

3. Less "Face Time" With Clients. I really hate talking to them; I'm not a people person. I don't care to schmooze with them, hold their hand or re-assure them that things are running smoothly. I'd like to get my job done with as little interaction with the client as possible. Let the intern handle that.

4. Less P.R. Responsibilities. I don't want to pitch ideas to the client or anything like that. I'm a writer and an editor. I write and edit. If you've misspelled a word I will catch and correct it. If you need to use another phrase for "greenhouse gas emissions" I can help. If you've misused the word "whom" I can educate you on its proper usage. But don't ask me to pitch an editorial because frankly, I could care less.

If you can meet these simple demands, then I won't feel the need to troll the job boards for an elsewhere to be.

No comments: